Re: Preference Files In Use (2nd Try)

On 22:01 28 Mar 2003, Ronald W. Heiby <heiby_rh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Since sharing my home directory using NFS / automount, I sometimes
| find the following message on the X Window screen before Gnome gets
| going.
| "Your preferences files are currently in use. (If you are logged in to
| this same account from another computer, the other login session is
| probably using your preferences files.) You can choose to continue,
| but be aware that other login sessions may become temporarily
| confused. If you are not logged in elsewhere, it should be harmless to
| continue." [Cancel] [Continue]
|
| So, who's holding what preferences files open, as opposed to opening
| the file only when needed for getting preference information or
| updating it with changes? How do I get them to cut it out? What
| "confusion" might I see in other login sessions? (So far, I've noticed
| none.) Since I *am* logged in elsewhere, am I doing some harm by
| continuing?

It's probably just Gnome being anal. Maybe it makes a lock file or
something.

| Am I the first one to try sharing home directories via NFS and
| automount? Or, am I doing something remarkably stupid?

No, it's perfectly normal practice to share home directories.  It's less
common to actually be logged in other than where you're sitting, but
certainly not insane.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@xxxxxxxxxx    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Two british bikers were riding along chatting when one of them gazed over the
fence and remarked, "Look at those idiots over there ice skating in this
blizzard!"	- Gaz <gjs@xxxxxxxxxx>