Re: RH 9.0 - changelog?

On Saturday 29 March 2003 11:32, Guy Fraser uttered:
> The following packages have been deprecated, and may be removed from a
> future release of Red Hat Linux:
>
> - pine - License-related issues
> - lilo - Grub is the recommended bootloader
>
> I absolutely hate grub! Now this sucks big time!

Deprecated, not removed.  Lilo _may_ be removed in the future, probably once
grub can do everything lilo can do.  It already does quite a lot that lilo
never could.  I've saved my ass many-a-times by using grubs command line at
boot time, when the menu can't be found.  Good luck doing that w/ lilo.

> Now that pine is gone, there will be no pico. All I am left with is vi.
> I hate emacs, which is bloated and overly complicated for simple editing.

Then file your complaint with the authors of Pine that won't budge on the
license issue.

> I wonder when vi will get tossed? After all only savy users use it. Like
> the ones who have been supporting RH for close to a decade now.

Vi will not be tossed because vi is not in the distro.  Vim is, and has a
compatibility mode that can be accessed via the "vi" binary.  rpm -qf `which
vi` and you'll see the same.  Since there are no license issues with Vim, and
since it is a very heavily used app, I don't see it going away.

Instead of bitching and moaning to the list, you could file an RFE for
inclusion of nano, which is a GPL clone of pico, and doesn't seem to have any
licensing issues at first glance.  But personally, I don't know of any
Professional Unix admins that use pico.  *chuckle* we all get a laugh over
that one.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net