Re: RH 9 - new glibc

On Friday 28 March 2003 17:37, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> Yeah, this baffles me too. It's not like they were close to a 9.0 release
> anyways, as if they were on like RH 8.7 or something and just took a small
> leap. They went from 8.0 to 9.0 with no intermediate steps. If this is such
> a huge jump and so much is going to break, then it seems mighty foolish to
> me... I know I won't be upgrading my RH 8.0 boxes until well into RH 9.x
> (assuming there is one and RH doesn't $hit on us again and jump to 10.0
> after this release). RH is notorious for blundering their .0 releases, and
> for them to use a brang new glibc known to break things already, seems
> extremely dangerous to me. Am I not understanding something? Do any other
> distros use this new/broken glibc yet? Is there that much with this glibc
> that is soooo unbelievably awesome that we just *had* to have it in this RH
> version and it couldn't wait till after 8.1, 8.2, 8.5 or whatever...?

Ugh.  Glibc doesn't "break" things, just old things aren't compatible with the
new glibc.  It happens all the time.  IT's not broken, just too new.  Most
the reason for the 8.0 -> 9 is the Linux threads, which are supposedly very
cool, and very worth it.

You just can't win, either you're too old for the people that want new stuff,
or your too new for the people that want old stuff, or you don't include 8x
alternatives for every app, or you include way too many alternatives for each
app... *sigh*

I guess it's like a judge, they know they're doing their job if _both_ sides
are pissed off at the end.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net