Re: OT Fax questions

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Harry Putnam wrote:

>   software including efax.  Where one uses the OS and PC as fax
>   machine.
>
> I want to know if anyone knows how to use a freestanding fax from RH8.
>
> That is, my wife has a `hp 0fficejet 145' (fax, copy, scan, print) One
> of those all purpose units attached to a dual booter PC running xp and
> rh8.  It came with HP software that allows the user to write and add
> cover letters, keep logs etc when run from XP.
>
> It can be run freestanding as well.  Short of typing and printing a
> cover letter, adding it to the tray manually, I see no way to do a
> cover letter for and send a few papers while in Linux OS.

It looks like you can't use the fax from linux:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-OfficeJet_D145
---
   Scanning works using the HPOJ  low-level driver together with its
   SANE backend "hpoj".

   Copying works fine from the front panel.

   PC-faxing is not supported with free software.

   USB-only, optional adapters available for parallel and ethernet
   connection.
---

HTH,
 Arend