Re[2]: Linux vs Windows

I am sysadmin for Linux, Windows, and Apple systems.

Its very wrong to say one is more or less complex.

Apple and MS hide most of the complexity from the user, but in reality
their codes are longer and more confusing/complex.  Linux, in general,
is simpler.  Examples in mind including deleting programs and drivers
through the registry and networking irregularities.

Its the same story in support.  Apple and MS hide most of the
complexity behind their bureaucracies.  But, when you have a real
difficult problem, you will find that their support sucks, both in its
response time and the quality of the response and in its financial
cost.   Examples include a Win 2000 install which I spent months and
good cash trying to get it to boot properly.  MS sent me on a bunch of
rabbit trails with it.

If the basic user who doesn't mind burning their cash and would rather be
ignorant, then MS or Apple is fine.  But these same users are
unsatisfied with many aspects of their computers and will change.

I know this from experience.

Linux is maturing more rapidly than Windows and Apple.  Eventually,
most users will go to Linux -- that's why Windows is investing so
rapidly in new frontiers, because they know their core customer (the
"just give me something that works" person) base is switching to
Linux.  And as Linux grows, the easier it will be to use.

That's my prideful opinion  (well I'd say humble opinion, but if I was
truly humble, I probably wouldn't be wasting my time on such a point
-- I need to get back to work)

George Halley