Re: Red Hat 9

In my part of the world in the southern hemisphere,  Linux became
an extremely popular server OS at more or less the same time that
the Red Hat 7.x series was out. For us, this was partly why 7.3
was the most popular, but RH 7.3 also *seemed* to be the most
'hassle free' Linux OS or there compared to other versions.
(At least from what I have seen in my years of service; I could be
wrong). The other aspect to consider is that Linux is not a
closed-bonnet scenario like Windows, so with enough fiddling
you can get just about any distro to the level that you want it to be at.

Give it a few months, and many of the sites out there who got
Red Hat 8 and have decided to stick with it will eventually ween
out all of the bugs and holes and make all of their servers just peachy.

The companies around the world that have been using Red Hat since
it came out have had to shed crocodile tears in trying to both build and
grasp Linux enough to use it properly, and now that they are at the point
where
they know what they are doing, they seem reluctant to upgrade their
distro, and I am inclined to agree with them.  Linux can give
inexperienced administrators and users alike the shock effect equivalent
to that of stepping on the wrong side of a rake. Red Hat 8 was meant to
tone down the image of Linux being an OS only for MENSA candidates.
Look at the way Red Hat linux 8 was marketed - you will see where I am
going with all of this.

Administrators are normally placed up on a pedestal as super intelligent
and super capable people, and no administrator wants to be the
person to prove that perception wrong in their respective companies.
The release of Red Hat 8 was appealing not merely because it just looked
so nice, but more because the bluecurve desktop seemed to promise
all of those point-and-click people out there an avenue of escape, in case
they just can't figure out what do in front of that dreaded command line,
and may be forced to embarrass themselves on a mailing list just like this
one.

All said and done, I am still somewhat concerned myself as to why Red Hat 9
is popping up so quickly.

Jason