Re: Red Hat 9

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> 	I doubt that.  RH 8 works just fine in most situations.  It's not
> quite as solid in some server situations as 7.3 was but that's likely to
> improve with 9.

Hard to find just the right place to interject my $.02....

All the discussions/go-rounds on this Red Hat 9 issue can probably be
summed up in that old adage...  "You can make some of the people happy all
of the time, all of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make
all of the people happy all of the time".

Some people are unhappy cause 8.0 isn't being upgraded with the newest in
application X.  Some people want the latest version of lib Y...but when it
comes out others are unhappy cause they have to update application Z which
means you need to update the config file.  Then there seem to be those
unhappy with going from 8.0 to 9.0 because surely since the beta was
called 8.1 there must be an 8.1 before you do a 9.0.  Then there is the
issue of binary compatibility....but isn't tht what you get when you move
forward sometimes?  Got to have the latest in XYZ....but it *must* be
stable.

Wouldn't it just be more fun to go back to the "old days" when every sat
around trying to guess the name of the next release?  Then, wait until it
comes out to see if it is really as earth shattering and sky falling as
some contend?

Sorry....maybe I just need to develop some more procmail filters.  :-)

--
http://webcams.greshko.com/  Do you this man, Peter Boeni?
http://www.shorewall.net/  for all your firewall needs