Re: More CD-RW Burning Issues...

On 14 Mar 2003, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> The burns completed with no errors whatsoever, but the CDs all still
> fail on the Red Hat media tests. I can read the CDs though using both my
> existing Red Hat system and my laptop running Win XP. Could these CDs
> actually be OK and that the problem is really that the Media tester in
> Phoebe 3 is just reporting falsely?

Anything is possible but I doubt it. :-)
For giggles why don't you try running md5sum on it.
A simple "md5sum /dev/cdrom" will get it for you and if the md5sum for
the cd is the same as the one redhat publishes for the iso then the cd
is good.

Also are you burning the cd in DAO mode?? You might want to try burning
from (shudder, oh no not that) a command line. Something like the following
is what I use: "/usr/bin/cdrecord -v --eject -dao dev=0,0,0 speed=8 iso_name"

I have it setup in an alias so I do not have to remember the command. This
worksforme (tm). Besides AFAIK most of the gui burning software simply calls
cdrecord anyway. Of course you will have to adjust the device and speed for
your system. Also if you are having problems burning burning at a slower speed
will sometimes help.

HTH,

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....