Woes installing 2 CD drives on Red Hat 8

Hello, Everyone :)
To save you all some time, I'll just cut right to the chase:  I just got
a new computer with a KT3 Ultra2 (MS-6380E) mainboard by MSI, based
on the VIA KT333 Chipset.  My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2100+
(1.73ghz)
When I attempt to install a CD-ROM drive (It isn't majorly important
right now what brand it is, as I've tried three different ones, in
addition to three different cables, while trying to diagnose my problem)
in addition to my CD-R/CD-RW drive: Memorex 52MAXX 2452AJ   Rev: 6WS2,
here's what happens - The bios picks both of the CD drives correctly.
And this is what /var/log/messages in Red Hat says:

host kernel:     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfc00-0xfc07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA,
hdb:DMA
Mar 10 03:02:16 localhost rc: Starting keytable:  succeeded
Mar 10 03:02:16 localhost kernel:     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfc08-0xfc0f,
BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
Mar 10 03:02:16 localhost kernel: hda: ST320414A, ATA DISK drive
Mar 10 03:02:16 localhost kernel: hdb: MAXTOR 6L040J2, ATA DISK drive
Mar 10 03:02:16 localhost kernel: hdc: 56X CD-ROM, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
drive
Mar 10 03:02:17 localhost kernel: hdd: Memorex 52MAXX 2452AJ, ATAPI
CD/DVD-ROM drive

So far, at least to my unlearned eyes, things look ok.  But there is no
/dev entry for cdrom1, so when I attempt to mount whichever drive my
experiment has determined was NOT /dev/cdrom, I get some error about a
"special device" not existing.

When I ran tail -100 /var/log/messages, I got the following:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
hdd: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x7f { DriveReady DeviceFault
SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
hdd: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x7f
ide1: Drive 1 didn't accept speed setting. Oh, well.
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: status error: status=0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: status error: status=0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: status error: status=0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: status error: status=0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: status error: status=0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: status error: status=0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: status error: status=0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: status error: status=0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: status error: status=0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
hdc: drive not ready for command
usb.c: registered new driver usblp
printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2
vid 0x04E8 pid 0x300E
printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver
[...]
scsi0 : channel 0 target 1 lun 0 request sense failed, performing reset.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
hdd: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
hdd: drive not ready for command

Both drives work fine in Windows XP, but the scenario is always the same
as I described above when I try to get them to work in Red Hat 8.  (When
I say they "Work fine", I mean that Windows detects both of them, and
both of them are completely functional, can be used to read music, data,
whatever I want to do with them)

In closing, the actual drive that I want to use is a brand new (and I
suspect, not defective, as the problem is the same with whatever drive I
use) Artec Super 56X, and I have tried all the drives I've experimented
with (the Burner, and whichever of the three CD-ROM's) as both the
master AND the slave (making sure the jumpers were set correctly.)  My
Bios always detected the drives I was experimenting with as whatever I
set the jumpers at, master or slave.  And like I said, they are both
functional in Windows XP, but when I try them in Red Hat 8, Red Hat only
picks up one of them.  Oh yeah, when I only have one hooked up, it is
detected as SCSI (emulated, of course, as these drives are all IDE), but
when both are hooked up, it says there are none that have SCSI emulation
enabled (this information was gotten from kcontrol | information | SCSI)
 I just tried another experiment, and when I tried to mount /dev/cdrom,
it said it wasn't a valid block device.  The problem is, if I were to
disconnect the slave drive, and reboot, all of a sudden it would become
a valid block device.  If I'm wrong on that last point, I'll send a
correction as soon as possible.
Another thing I remembered, when I first got the new computer, and I
tried to install Red Hat 8 with what turned out to be a bad CD-ROM
drive, it wouldn't install.  When I removed the bad CD-ROM drive, I was
able to install Red Hat 8.  The strange thing is that I wasn't using the
bad drive to install Red Hat, I was using my Burner, as I had already
had suspicions about that old CD-ROM drive.  But it gets stranger: with
that same CD-ROM drive connected that kept me from installing Red Hat 8,
I was able to install with absolutely no difficulty, Red Hat 7.1, and
mabye 7.2  If that sound confusing, then I think I explained it
correctly :(

I truly hope this wasn't too long winded, but I am just so used to Red
Hat perfectly picking up any hardware I throw at it: I added a
harddrive, and both burners that I've had were all detected
automatically, with the appropriate entries automatically added to
/etc/fstab, so maybe you can understand why I'm really confused by this.

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.  If you ask me
anything too hard, I might have to ask for help just so that I can
respond to your question :)

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Steven P. Ulrick

Almost forgot: I have 512 megabytes of DDRAM and I have all the official
Red Hat 8 Updates installed, including the latest Kernel.  And also,
when I installed Red Hat, I installed everything (1440+ packages)