Re: Woes installing 2 CD drives on Red Hat 8

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:02:11 -0600
"Steven P. Ulrick" <spu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In closing, the actual drive that I want to use is a brand new (and I
> suspect, not defective, as the problem is the same with whatever drive
> I use) Artec Super 56X, and I have tried all the drives I've
> experimented with (the Burner, and whichever of the three CD-ROM's) as
> both the master AND the slave (making sure the jumpers were set
> correctly.)  My Bios always detected the drives I was experimenting
> with as whatever I set the jumpers at, master or slave.  And like I
> said, they are both functional in Windows XP, but when I try them in
> Red Hat 8, Red Hat only picks up one of them.  Oh yeah, when I only
> have one hooked up, it is detected as SCSI (emulated, of course, as
> these drives are all IDE), but when both are hooked up, it says there
> are none that have SCSI emulation enabled (this information was gotten
> from kcontrol | information | SCSI)
>  I just tried another experiment, and when I tried to mount
>  /dev/cdrom,
> it said it wasn't a valid block device.  The problem is, if I were to
> disconnect the slave drive, and reboot, all of a sudden it would
> become a valid block device.  If I'm wrong on that last point, I'll
> send a correction as soon as possible.
> Another thing I remembered, when I first got the new computer, and I
> tried to install Red Hat 8 with what turned out to be a bad CD-ROM
> drive, it wouldn't install.  When I removed the bad CD-ROM drive, I
> was able to install Red Hat 8.  The strange thing is that I wasn't
> using the bad drive to install Red Hat, I was using my Burner, as I
> had already had suspicions about that old CD-ROM drive.  But it gets
> stranger: with that same CD-ROM drive connected that kept me from
> installing Red Hat 8, I was able to install with absolutely no
> difficulty, Red Hat 7.1, and mabye 7.2  If that sound confusing, then
> I think I explained it correctly :(

Hello, again :)
I just had an idea that I wanted to try, so here is the results: all the
testing reflected in my original posting, had only one thing in common -
the Memorex 52X CD-R/CD-RW drive.  So I took that drive out, and put in
another drive, and I had exactly the same results: the Bios picked up
everything, the Red Hat boot messages recognized both CD drives, but
when I went to mount /dev/cdrom, which is the only cd-related entry that
I ever have (other than /dev/cdrom1 when things are working the way they
should) I was told that /dev/cdrom was not a valid block device.

Well that's all I have for now :)
Steven P. Ulrick