Re: Ext3 File System Check

On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 23:56, John Lowell wrote:
> I agree with you Chris, its remarkable that so much has come out of a
> simple request for an answer to a question on the e2fsck command.
> Interestingly, I raised the very same question on another distro's
> mailing list this afternoon, was answered promptly, courteously, and
> with no lecture whatsoever about man pages. I didn't even receive one
> unsolicited comment on protocol or whether someone agreed with me or
> not.  Funny, isn't it, how the people on some Linux lists seem
> interested in just being helpful.
>
> John Lowell
-----
Dude - Eric Raymond's Guide to the Smart Way to Ask Questions (did you
follow the link?)

1 section "dealing with rudeness"
1 section "on not reacting like a loser"
a recommendation not to ask yes-or-no questions.

and then there's...
"There is an ancient and hallowed tradition: if you get a reply that
reads "RTFM", the person who sent it thinks you should have Read The
Fucking Manual. He is almost certainly right. Go read it."
...snippage...
"You shouldn't be offended by this; by hacker standards, he is showing
you a rough kind of respect simply by not ignoring you. You should
instead thank him for his grandmotherly kindness."

Why do you persist on being clueless? Clueless people cannot get away
with being self-righteous.

Craig