how kernel modules are associated aliased names

I've got a setup thusly:
in an older compaq deskpro

pcmcia - isa adapter card
	with orinoco pc card

on board nic

two intel eepro100 cards

one 3c509 isa card

after an install of psyche they are configured in this manner

device name		driver		bus
eth0			tlan		onboard (pci)
eth1			eepro100	pci
eth2			eepro100	pci
eth3			3c509		isa
eth4			orinoco_cs	isa

I'm trying to find out if I can force the device names to be some other
than the above.  For example, when I try to shoe horn eth1 to be the tlan
adapter the interface will fail to startup.  During this experiment, only
one entry exists in /etc/modules.conf

	alias eth1 tlan

and only ifcfg-eth1 exists under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/  and I
have run "depmod -a"

The tlan module get loaded but ifup reports that the device does not
exist.  How does the mapping between device name and module get created?