ANNOUNCE: the RULE distribution analyzer is online

Hello,

The alpha release of the RULE Distribution ANalyzer from the RULE
projectis available online at
http://www.rule-project.org/cgi-bin/dan.cgi

The DAn (which can be ported to other distros) is targeted to whoever
needs to quickly hand-pick Red Hat packages for any reason, from
server administrators to users who need an internet kiosk or MP3 juke
box with the same user-space packages present on their standard
desktop.

Its final version should give complete answers (EVEN ONLINE, OR
WITHOUT FORCING YOU TO INSTALL THAT RH VERSION) to questions like:

  How much space will version X of Red Hat need?

  How much space will it take if I remove this and that package?

  I don't really care about specific packages, programs, and desktop
  environments. I just want a box that does {any set of tasks}, and,
  for each task (eg email client), guarantees certain functionalities
  (eg POP3 support). SAID THIS, WHAT IS THE SMALLEST COMPLETE SET OF
  RPM PACKAGES WHICH GIVES THAT, AND WHERE DO I FIND THEM?

More info, and the URL to the source, are displayed by the script
itself.

	Thanks in advance for any feedback,

	       Marco Fioretti
--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

They can't stop us... we're on a mission from God!
                -- The Blues Brothers