Xfree and file permissions

Hello,
 I was working with users, groups and file permissions and noticed
 something wierd that I can duplicate on different RH8 machines.

I log into GDM/Gnome as user 'kevin', opened a gnome terminal and
'su -' to root. From that terminal I created a group,
 a directory, permissions etc.

groupadd students
usermod -G kevin,students kevin
mkdir /data
chmod 770 /data
chgrp students /data

Now I open a new Gnome Terminal [as user kevin]
and 'cd /data' since 'kevin' is now in the 'students' group.
I get 'permission denied'.  /etc/group shows 'kevin' in the
'students' group and file perms are
drwxrwx___   root    students    on the /data directory.

No changes or playing with the permissions helps so finally
I logout of X completely and log back in via GDM/Gnome, open a gnome
terminal as 'kevin' and can now 'cd /data' without any problem.

What's happening?
Comments please.
TIA

Kevin B