Re: ntpd Question

Hi Piero:

That's do it!.

 I checked the ntp doc's about this file and found nothing. In further check I
find that this file is parsed to get servers names to pass to  "ntpdate" (to
sync dates) on the "/etc/init.d/ntpd"  script (at service start) and by
default the file is empty.

One interesting thing is that if this file is missing (not empty), the
"etc/init.d/ntpd start" script will add the option -g to ntpd parameters.
This is supposed to force ntpd to set the system clock at startup (once) in
case of any differences and should be the preferred way because ntpdate is to
be retired (the ntpd docs says so...).

The problem is that it seems the "-g" options is not working properly. I
stopped the ntdp service, removed the step-tickers file,  set an invalid
date/time and started the ntpd service again. The date was not affected!.

Anyway, I will stick with the step-tickers file and ntpdate as they are.

Thanks for your help!

--
Carlos A. Siso