Unable to setup sendmail to allow user authtication for sending

I've been looking through several howto's and also the sendmail (on the
system and the website) docs, but I've now come to a halt.

I'm trying to get sendmail to only allow sending of mail, providing the
user can authentication.

I have set the following options up in my /etc/sendmail.sendmail.mc
file and ran the m4 update to update sendmail.cf:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5')dnl
define(`confCACERT_PATH',`/usr/share/ssl/certs')
define(`confCACERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt')
define(`confSERVER_CERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confSERVER_KEY',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')

But when ever I telnet in or use evolution to get the available
authentication methods (I'm trying to use Plain or Login, as I have
STARTTLS enabled anyway), I only get the following options:

250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5

checking /var/log/maillog, its listed as:

sendmail[10740]: AUTH: available mech=DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 ANONYMOUS,
allowed mech=LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5

I can see that it knows of the methods, but for the life of me I cannot
workout how to make it available,

I presume it has something to do with the 'confAUTH_OPTIONS' directive,
but the readme in the sendmail.cf directory, says to read a non existent
file.

Can someone advise my on what options I'm missing or need to add.

Thanks in advance

Mark

--
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
to steal from many is research.