ntpd Question

Greetings:

I need some help to set the ntpd service to syncronize my server date & time
with a public time server.

I have already installed & run the ntpd service, configuring the public server
address in the /etc/ntp.conf file. The problem is that the ntpd service seems
NOT to be affecting the local server time at all.

Aside from the public timer server name configuration in ntp.conf, Do I have
to set anything else?

TIA,
--
Carlos A. Siso