Re: LDAP

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Keith Winston wrote:

> Eduardo Sanz Martin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to set up a LDAP server as authentication password ( like a
> > NIS). I would like to set up this server on a linux machine. It is going
> > validate passwords on UNIX (HP-UX, SGI) and linux, is it possible? How
> > can i find information about this item. I checked LDAP HOWTO, but it
> > is not clear. Is there a document that explains clear how LDAP works?
>
> There was a wonderful article published in the December 2002 edition of
> the Linux Journal titled:
>
> * OpenLDAP Everywhere  by Craig Swanson and Matt Lung
> A single company-wide directory service offers mail address lookup and
> file sharing to Linux and Windows users.
>
> I used it as a model to set up a working OpenLDAP authentication server
> (in a test environment).  Unfortunately, it is a long article and is not
> published on the linuxjournal.com web site, so you need to find the
> magazine somewhere.

Were you able to get the autofs part working?? So far I have been unable to
figure out how to pass args to autofs via LDAP. The parts I do have working
though are really cool. Still need to write some scripts to manage things
better though.

> I also struggled with the HOWTO and other online documentation and
> needed the above article to clarify some things for me.

IMHO LDAP is not for the faint of heart. Once it is working it is pretty
much bullet proof but it is painful to get working 100%. IMHO the docs
still pretty much suck. At least the ones I have read.

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@rogueind.com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....