Re: Tomcat 4.1.18 with Apache 2.0.40-11--anyone got it working?

I got it--finally!

The steps (as best I can reconstruct) are at the end of this message.

Here's the URL to the (well hidden) version of JK2 that finally worked for me:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk2/release/v2.0.1/bin/linux/i386/

These instructions were moderately helpful (although a lot of the config stuff was already in place [as the writer noted might well be the case with Tomcat 4.1]):

http://www.pubbitch.org/jboss/mod_jk2.html

Since I don't think I've got the JNI bits in the right place, presumably the Unix domain socket capability isn't working--but that's okay.

The older (but apparently quite workable) mod_webapp "WARP" connector doesn't seem to be available in a working version with the recent Tomcat & Apache builds. That's too bad, because it is what I was using before and I could have set that up rather more quickly (substantially simpler configuration--JK2 has another level of indirection so you can use different web servers without changing much of the config on the Tomcat side).

The version of Tomcat I have installed is from this rpm:

tomcat4-4.1.18-full-1jpp
(and the matching admin-webapp and webapp rpm's)

The Apache version is from the site suggested by Leonid:

http://www.aucs.org/rpmcenter/rpms.html

You'll probably need some other bits from this site (besides the httpd rpm). If you're a newbie like me, you might want to do this:

rpm -e --test httpd<your version info here>

It'll list a number of dependencies. You'll need those too. When you have all the rpm's you need, start at the bottom of the dependencies lists and remove those first (e.g. I had to remove the perl and php modules and the ssl module). With those removed, you can remove the httpd rpm; then reinstall the new parts in the reverse order (httpd first, then the others). Stick on tomcat4 and grab the .so file for the jk2 connector and get that installed into the /etc/httpd/modules directory (this is actually a link to another directory, but it works).

At that point, you'll need to:

Modify the httpd.conf file (found in /etc/httpd/conf) to load the jk2 module (my line looks like this):

LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk2-2.0.43.so

The jk2.properties file (also in the /etc/httpd/conf directory) needs to have contents as described in the pubbitch (interesting name :-`) document.

Create a worker2.properties file as described in Leonid's prior post.

HTH someone. What a pain in the posterior!

John