Re: Transferring updates across local network

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 08:41:10PM -0500, John Nall wrote:
> This may be a dumb question, with the answer glaringly obvious.  But I hate
> to make assumptions.  Doing so has bit me in the past.
>
> Using RHN I have updated one of my three RH8.0 systems.  All three of them
> are on a LAN, at my home.  Since this updating is kind of a courtesy from
> Redhat, by virtue of my buying RH8.0 from them, I can only update one
> machine with RHN (or so I gather).   So one machine is updated.  The other
> two are not.  It would seem logical to me that I should be able to then
> update the other two machines on the LAN then, by merely copying the files.

You've got a few choices:
1.  Buy subscriptions to RHN for all systems.
2.  If all 3 are identically configured, you can run up2date on one
system and tell it to keep the rpms after they've been downloaded (the
default is to delete).  Once the first system is done, you can then
freshen your other systems from those rpms.
3.  Use one of the many open source tools that try to emulate up2date.
4.  Grab the files directly from a Red Hat ftp mirror and freshen your
system the old fashion way.

FWIW, I've got my home system subscribed to RHN (I've paid). The
$60/year is really a bargain for the piece of mind to get all updates
promptly, full ISOs if I need them on a high-priority basis, and new
versions of the OS during the year.  That, and Red Hat gets *all* the
money, unlike what would happen if I went to a local store to buy the
latest version twice per year.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org