Re: Transferring updates across local network

At 08:41 PM 2/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
This may be a dumb question, with the answer glaringly obvious. But I hate to make assumptions. Doing so has bit me in the past.

Using RHN I have updated one of my three RH8.0 systems. All three of them are on a LAN, at my home. Since this updating is kind of a courtesy from Redhat, by virtue of my buying RH8.0 from them, I can only update one machine with RHN (or so I gather). So one machine is updated. The other two are not. It would seem logical to me that I should be able to then update the other two machines on the LAN then, by merely copying the files.

Is that true? Or am I being overly naive/trusting/innocent??? Anyone done it?

John

I am sure there are other methods of updating over a lan, but this works for me.
I am making the assumption that all 3 have internet access.
I also do not run the rhnsd. I update by running up2date.

You need to register all 3 machines with RHN. Not to worry... registration is free.
I have 3 machines registered right now under one account, using different machine
descriptions so I can tell which is which. Two of them run on separate partitions
on one box (one for test and one for everyday use) and one is at work.The thing is,
only 1 can be active at a time.

When you want to update a machine, login to RHN and make that machine active.
Then run up2date on the active machine.

To save bandwidth and time, I make sure I configure up2date to save the update
downloads. I think the default dir for the downloads is /var/spool/up2date. I have
changed the default to a directory mounted to a shared partition on my home box
so both installs can use them without having to copy the files. For work, I burn a
CD and then copy the files from it to the default directory. When up2date
connects, you tell it what to update. If the files are where up2date expects to see
them, it will skip the download part.

I even burn an update CD for a friend of mine so he doesn't have to download the updates
over his dialup connection. Since his install is a little different from mine, he still has to
download an update from time to time.

Just a side note. I have recently paid for basic service. Although I could keep up2date
for free, I wanted to give at least some support to my distro of choice.

Doug