Re: OT: the whole SCO IP patent(s) mess

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Thursday 13 February 2003 10:27, Tom Georgoulias wrote:
> > I'm kinda surprised that this hasn't come up on any of the Red Hat
> > mailing lists I'm subscribed to, but does anyone have credible info on
> > how much of an effect SCO's patent enforcement lawsuits would/could have
> > on Red Hat Linux?  It's my understanding that is involves some libraries
> > that provide Unix program capability on Linux, but concrete details seem
> > to be scarce.
> >
> > My hunch is while that we won't know for sure until lawsuits are filed
> > and Red Hat makes an offical response, standard installs of Red Hat
> > Linux are OK.  Anyone else have that impression?  Of course all of this
> > is speculation and if SCO tries to make a land grab, things could get
> > real messy real quick.
>
> nobody really knows what SCO will go after, or how.  A pretty decent article
> showed up the other day that sums it all up.  Great read:
>
> http://infoworld.com/article/03/02/11/HNsco_1.html

and while you're there, i would also check out one of the articles
linked to in the sidebar, "Microsoft eyes the datacenter", in
which an MS rep states that, "To succeed in the datacenter...,
Microsoft's operating system will need to interoperate well with
Unix systems and other non-Microsoft platforms."

uh ... right.  *that* can happen.  definitely worth a read.

rday