Re: Mozilla or Netscape?

>Message: 3
>Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:36:59 -0600
>From: Aaron Konstam <akonstam@Trinity.Edu>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Mozilla or Netscape?
>
>On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 06:33:02PM -0800, Ilona wrote:
>> I'm a newbie to Linux and was wondering what people prefered and
>> advantages disadvantges to Netscape and Mozilla and if mozilla wich
>> version to use 1.0.2 or 1.2?  From what I could see it seemed that they
>> had two separate numbering schemes going so i couldn't figure out the
>> most recent one.  I know how to install rpms so if the installation
>> method is diffent it needs to be well documented so I can figure it
>> out.  So far in my linux experience I have had NO luck w/ source code.
>> Any recommendations or considerations would be appreciated.
>> Thanx
>> Ilona
>In addition I have found that Netscape 4.x does not load certain web sites
>especially those with advanced Java support. I know someone will say the
>plug-ins are available but what a pain.
>--
>Aaron Konstam
>Computer Science
>Trinity University
>715 Stadium Dr.
>San Antonio, TX 78212-7200
>
>telephone: (210)-999-7484
>email:akonstam@trinity.edu

Hey,
Netscrape basically IS Moz, with more stuff (I know you knew that).  It is a bit slow and bloated, but I use it on my *nix boxes and my iBook.  Konqueror (and Safari) are faster, but, for me--a relative newbie like yourself, I have found it much easier to set up Netscrape with multi-media support than Konq.  Galeon has a lot of groOvy features, but like Konq, it has stumped me when it comes to installing some plugins.  Understand, now, that I am not one of the ubergeeks on the list.  I've been using Red Hat for a tad less than a year and ask stupid questions all the time.  I'm a language arts teacher.  That said, using Netscrape, I now have all the multimedia support I need, etc.  I can view flash (what a waste, except when surfing pollypocket.com with my daughter), watch local weather in realplayer, listen to streams with xmms, etc., etc.  Only file formats that trouble me are those blasted MicroSlop ones (windass media files).
So, from newbie to another, I recommend Netscrape.  Slow and bloated, but with all the a/c, powerlocks, and stereo comforts of a luxury sedan.
Oh yes, I'm talking about the latest Netscrape, 7.01, not 4.x, btw.

tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Freedom to Learn!