Re: installing Red Hat 8.0 on a system with 2 processors and 3SCSI hard drives...

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 15:00, Steve Strong wrote:
> The drive count I got from the SCSI bios.  The id's listed in the SCSI
> bios are 0, 4 and 6.
>
> I'm lost in you acronyms:
>
> 	SMP
> 	IIRC
>
> what do these mean, and how can I install and boot the SMP kernal (S...
> Multiple Processor???)
To see what's installed, from a terminal type
rpm -q kernel
or look in /boot.  If you don't see smp there, then you can install it:
rpm -ivh kernel-smp-<ver>.<arch>.rpm
from the rpm dir on (probably) disc 1.

> I completed the install, including putting Grub on sda0 in the MBR and
> upon restart, the system used another boot loader.  Does anyone know
> what this might imply?
Another boot loader, but it still loaded linux that you just installed?
Are you sure?  How do you _know_ that redhat doesn't see the extra SCSI
drives?  If you installed everything on one drive, you may just have to
fdisk and mount the others...  Also, you could create a boot disk
(mkbootdisk) to skip the boot loader.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
Experiments must be reproducible; they should all fail in the same way.