Re: Gnometoaster

On Sun Feb 09 2003 at 07:23, Antonio Montagnani wrote:

> The main question is: shall I have to introduce ide-scsi support also
> for CD reader??

I've never used gnometoaster, but if it is anything like xcdroast
then yes, they *expect* the cdrom devices to be scsi.

So the answer is: yes.

> Tnx for help
>
> Antonio

Probably the easiest way to get this quickly working is to rmmod
both the ide-cd and ide-scsi modules and then reload the ide-scsi
module again... this should force of both your cdroms to be
recognised as scsi.  If that doesn't work, then try putting this
into /etc/modules.conf

options ide-cd ignore=/dev/hdc,/dev/hdd

If you need this configuration at bootup, then you might need to run
mkinitrd so that those parameters are added to the initrd.

BTW, I believe that the forthcoming 2.6.x production kernels will be
able to handle IDE cdrom/dvd writers natively, without expecting
them to be scsi devices.  At which point all this crap will simply
go away - and these sorts of utilities will then need to be
re-written to cope with this :)  Quite frankly, I'm puzzled that
they haven't been written to simply accept ide cdroms as valid
devices to read from... perhaps there are technical reasons, I don't
know.

Cheers
Tony