Re: disk partition

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Mike Vanecek wrote:

> I guess one could always go with a 500MB /boot, a 1 GB sway, and whatever is
> left over goes to /.  The suggestion that separate partitions are need to
> protect from run-away programs, security, and so on may be valid. However,
> guessing the incorrect size of a partition could cause more of a problem?
>
> Please set me straight if doing such a simple partition is really a potential
> exposure to security.

The thing is, security is never an absolute.  Protecting such directories
as /var is good.  Making /home a seperate partition ensures a rogue, or
careless, user from bringing down the system.  With the right partition
setup you can make all your system directories such as /bin /sbin, /usr as
read-only.  It depends on how paranoid you are.

It is not just about security either.  Having /home, /usr/local, /root,
/mnt, and /opt as their own partitions means I can unmount all of them and
do an operating system install/upgrade or what have you and not endanger
any local data.