Re: Up2date

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Harold Helmich wrote:

> What are the issues with changing the channel the name in up2date from
> your current dist to the next?  If I update all is that the same as
> installing new version?  Can I selectively update packages this way?
>  For example get the latest version of X?

 I tried upgrading releases by upgrading all the packages a few releases
back, admittedly on a disposable machine, without any problems that I
remember. Provided you don't jump major versions it will probably work,
but it certainly isn't supported, and if it breaks you get to keep all the
pieces. The difference between a package upgrade and a normal upgrade is
that RedHat can make extra fixes, and improve package selection during the
normal upgrade process.
 Note that if you upgrade something like X, there are probably other
subsiduary packages you need to upgrade as well (and dependencies in
rawhide or beta releases aren't always complete), so you may end upgrading
most of the system anyway. I would have said a prerequisite for trying it
is good rpm handling skills (eg. dependency tracking).

	Michael Young