Re: RE:An Interesting Problem

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 11:42, Joshua Dolan wrote:

> Dave,
> It seems to be a name resolution problem.  In fact, I get the message,
> "Resolving host www.google.com" for instance, and it never resolves it.  Or
> when trying to get email (in Evolution), it just sits there and times out
> sometimes trying to get the email. Does that give you any clues?

The first thing I would try to do is ping a known IP address on the
Internet, and see if is successful. If it is, then you have it narrowed
down to a DNS problem. If you don't know any IP addresses, try the IP
address of your ISP's DNS server.

Assuming that it is a DNS problem, first check the file
/etc/resolv.conf. This holds the IP addresses of your DNS servers, and
it should match whatever the documentation from your ISP tells you.

When the ppp daemon dials up to your ISP to get a connection, it gets an
IP address for itself, a default gateway/router, and a DNS configuration
which it uses to update /etc/resolv.conf. If this file is not being
updated, it may be empty, or it may have the wrong information (from a
previous configuration).

In the "old days" of Linux (a couple of years ago), you had to manually
change the permissions on this file in order to allow the ppp daemon to
write to it. I would assume that RedHat takes care of the permissions
issue automatically, but I haven't done it in such a long time that I
really don't know.

Anyway, try pinging an IP address, and check your /etc/resolv.conf, and
let us know if anything turns up.

You might also want to check your syslog (/var/log/messages) and see if
pppd is throwing out any error messages when connecting. Just a
last-minute thought.

--
Dave Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA