Re: xmms and Redhat 8.0

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 09:39:34 at 09:39:34AM -0500, Diego, Emil (ediego@exchange.sba.miami.edu) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have run into a little problem with redhat 8.0 and xmms.  I had my
> machine running redhat 7.3 and xmms.  My sound card worked fineand I was
> able to play mp3's without any problem.

Red Hat 8.0 does not support mp3, for valid, patent related reasons.

Just check the release notes, or the official statement (can't find
the URL right now) on Red Hat's web site. The right thing to do, as
far as fighting closed formats is concerned, would be to convert all
mp3 files to ogg format and never go back.

If for any reason you can't or don't want to do it, the purely
technical patch (i.e. keeping the mp3 files and hiding the
problem) would be to go to freshrpms.net, and install all the mp3
related RPMs available on that site.

	Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and
many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad,
wholesome, charitable views of man and things cannot be acquired by
vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.