Re: NVidia GLX segfaults X server

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 12:56 pm, Robin Atwood wrote:
> I have just installed Psyche 8.0.92 and tried to install the latest
NVidia
> drivers. I compiled the kernel module and this works fine. However,
the
> server segfaults at the 'load "glx"' statement. Removing it allows
the X
> server to initialise correctly. I did not have this trouble with RH
7.3 so is
> there some problem with the binary library modules related to the
compiler
> used maybe?

Did you rename the driver in XF86Config from "vesa" to "nvidea"?  The
vesa driver is guaranteed to cause a segfault when loading the nvida
glx.

Did you reboot after the driver install?  It shouldn't be necessary
but I've installed the nvidia driver on several machunes and a couple
had to be rebooted before the driver worked.

Also, build both the kernel and GLX modules from the source RPMS or
the tarballs if possible.  You are less likely to have a problem that
way.

--
Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt
Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only of the front