Re: Support Changes

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 08:40, Randall J. Parr wrote:
> The problem is that not being able to upgrade "in-place" reliably means
> we generally have to install new versions on new hardware and
> merge/migrate the configuration and data OR we have to make backups,
> wipe the old hardware and then merge/migrate the configuration and data.
>  This takes too long and takes the system out of production too long.
> Most small businesses I've worked with just don't have the spare systems
> around to do this. If they have spares, they are the old systems.  If
> you try "rotating" the old spare around, you fall into office politic
> hell. Any swap that leaves them worse off leads to endless
> dissatisfaction, resentment, and a general lessening of happiness and
> cooperation.
>
> Some of the above is inevitable in our business. The point I wish to
> make is that having to upgrade much more often to keep the system secure
> and reliable cranks this vicous cycle up to ridiculous speed.  Most of
> my customers want to get off the (Microsoft) merry-go-round; not onto a
> faster one.  A reliable and save way to upgrade in-place (esp X.0, X.1,
> X.2, ...) makes the cycle much less labor intensive and much less painful.

Why can't you do this currently?  I was able to start my system with 7.1, and
upgrade through to 7.3.  Only between 7.3 and 8.0 did I do a
backup/wipe/clean-install/restore, becuase I really wanted to start from
fresh on an 8.0 system.  I've talked to many people who have successfully
gone from 6.2 and upgraded to every release right on up to 8.0, with very few
problems.

I'm just curious as to why you don't think it's a reliable process.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: