Re: Support Changes

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 23:40, Panu Matilainen uttered:

I just keep wondering why people thing upgrading their systems between
releases with up2date would somehow magically break less things than
upgrading with the current system. And don't bother saying "because we now
need to reboot" - upgrading (or trying to) a production server online is
just asking for trouble.

I think it's more a convience thing. People with servers in remote locations, w/out physical access with any ease, are looking for a way to upgrade, and hopefully reboot to the new version, w/out ever having to insert any media into the mix.

For us it is NOT a convience thing. Remember, we were (at least I was) talking about upgrading the labor and effort in upgrading small businesses (especially ones with bunches of RH desktops). up2date is great but I am more than happy to walk around inserting media, rebooting, and the like.

The problem is that not being able to upgrade "in-place" reliably means we generally have to install new versions on new hardware and merge/migrate the configuration and data OR we have to make backups, wipe the old hardware and then merge/migrate the configuration and data. This takes too long and takes the system out of production too long. Most small businesses I've worked with just don't have the spare systems around to do this. If they have spares, they are the old systems. If you try "rotating" the old spare around, you fall into office politic hell. Any swap that leaves them worse off leads to endless dissatisfaction, resentment, and a general lessening of happiness and cooperation.

Some of the above is inevitable in our business. The point I wish to make is that having to upgrade much more often to keep the system secure and reliable cranks this vicous cycle up to ridiculous speed. Most of my customers want to get off the (Microsoft) merry-go-round; not onto a faster one. A reliable and save way to upgrade in-place (esp X.0, X.1, X.2, ...) makes the cycle much less labor intensive and much less painful.

R.Parr
Temporal Arts