CDROM Audio Problems

I have been trying to play audio cd's.  I've tried various programs but
they all give the same result...appear to be playing but no sound.

I know the hardware is working as I was able to boot into windows and
successfully play the songs from the cd.  I am able to play mp3's or wav
files from the hard drive.  I can burn audio cd's.  I just can't play a
cd!

I've tried using xmms, kscd, and of course the gnome default cd player.
They all read the cd tracks and appear to be working...but no sound!

Any ideas?

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer