Re: mysql problem

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Dave Robbins <drobbins@drobbins.net>
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Sent: 28 Jan 2003 15:00:25 -0500
Subject: mysql problem

> hello all,
>
> my setup is a pentium III 800 MHz 375 MB ram
> Redhat 8.0 with everything installed
> my little home network has several machine on the 192.168.0 subnet all
> behind a linksys router with dsl to the net
>
> I've been playing with apache/php/mysql and everything is working great
> I recently came across a need to connect to mysql from a different
> machine. when I do this the connection fails. I've poored over
> documentation. I feel good that I have the permissions setup right (for
> mysql at least).  After reading thru lots of list archive and trying
> lots of different things, I've boiled it down to the fact that from the
> local machine, if I "telnet 192.168.0.1 3306", mysql responds with it's
> version number,

netstat -nat should tell you if it is listening
ps aux | grep -i mysql should tell you if the daemon is running

> but if I do that from the remote machine, telnet exits
> immediately. this approach is ment to get around any kind of access
> issues.

By remote machine, does this mean outside the net. If so, have you enabled dmz
or portforwarding on the linksys router? If not, the packets from the outside
will never get to the server.

You can use iptables to monitor packets to the mysql port, something like:

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 3306 -j LOG (you may have to check the syntax)

will record incoming packets for that port.

------- End of Original Message -------