mysql problem

hello all,

my setup is a pentium III 800 MHz 375 MB ram
Redhat 8.0 with everything installed
my little home network has several machine on the 192.168.0 subnet all
behind a linksys router with dsl to the net

I've been playing with apache/php/mysql and everything is working great
I recently came across a need to connect to mysql from a different
machine. when I do this the connection fails. I've poored over
documentation. I feel good that I have the permissions setup right (for
mysql at least).  After reading thru lots of list archive and trying
lots of different things, I've boiled it down to the fact that from the
local machine, if I "telnet 192.168.0.1 3306", mysql responds with it's
version number, but if I do that from the remote machine, telnet exits
immediately. this approach is ment to get around any kind of access
issues. I don't think mysql is listening on port 3306, or my networking
setup isn't letting my machine pay attention to it. I ran mysqladmin
variables and it looks like networking is enabled. I looked at
/var/log/mysqld.log and all I saw was some startup information, are some
connection logs kept someplace else? I can connect from the remote
machine using ssh or ftp, but those are controlled by xinetd, mysqld
runs as a standalone daemon.

Ideas????
Dave