RE: How to give users (other than root) permission to write to a CDR/W device.

You can change /etc/security/console.perms so cdrw device ownership will be
given automatically to user logged in on console. See 'man console.perms'
for more info on this.
This method will not work for users logging in remotely (ssh,telnet,remote X
session).

Pavel.