Re: How to give users (other than root) permission to write to aCDR/W device.

    hw> Hi all,
    hw> I'm fairly new to linux and Red Hat, so bear with me if this is
    hw> obvious...

    hw> Right now I have to log in as root (or supply the root password) in
    hw> order to be able to write CDs (I'm using Gnome Toaster).  As far as I
    hw> can tell this is the default mode, as I haven't made any changes to my
    hw> user groups or permissions since I installed Psyche.

    hw> How can I give a regular user permission to write to the CDR/W device?

Use 'chmod' to change the permissions of the device driver you use for
cdrw device. Look into /dev for the device driver for your cdrw
device, such as /dev/hd*.

Example for an IDE device:
chmod 660 /dev/hdb

You might also want to look into using 'sudo' to run this where you
can give root permissions for certain uses to limited few people.

--
Ray Curtis
Curtis Consulting  -  http://www.ccux.com