Re: Severe Booting Problem

Duncan Rubinger schrieb:
Hi,

I've tried to apply RH8 on my new Toshiba 2430-101 Notebook. (2,53GHz
P4, 512MB DDR_RAM, DVD/CDR-Combo, Intel Chipset, NVidia Geforce4 420
GO Graphics adapter). The CD boots, the kernelimage uncompresses. But
then, after the line "Kernel uncompressing ... OK" nothing will
happen. Only the line, that linux will start now appears on the
screen. I already tried different parameters like

nopcmcia, acpi=off, apm=off, vga=791 (here, the screen becomes black
and nothing is shown).

Any ideas ? There are no more debug information, no logs, no console,
nothing :-(((

I found similar with Toshiba 1110 Notebuck. What I found out was.
Seems the ACIP is buggy. The cardbus don't have attached interrupts.
Every time yenta_socket module is loaded the kernel freeze.

Make a boot floppy - boot from this and do not add pcmcia support at booting. Then you should be able to install RH 8.0.

In the running Linux there is no PCMCIA support possible because always
I load yenta_socket kernel freeze. This also happens with 2.4.20-2.21 from pheobe witch should have newer ACPI support.
It is definitley not the PCMCIA Dridge chipset because my Acer Notebook has the same but no ACPI and there it runs?

Found no help until now.

Bye Wolfgang