Re: about Squid

hicham linux wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I recently learned that squid can speed up web client
> browsing,
> I am trying to use squid as cache and proxy server,
> I've looked at the doc how to make squid communicate
> with mozilla, in the Options menu : Manual Proxy
> Configuration:
> it says to put the Squid server's hostname or IP
> address and put the HTTP port number for the Squid
> server (by default, 3128) in the Port column.
> but no connection at all thru squid
> is the Squid server's hostname means the machine's
> hostname ?

Yes, it means the hostname of the computer where squid runs on. To
further speed up things, you should use the IP address instead of the
hostname, because the hostname needs to be resolved through DNS into the
IP address.

Do you have a DNS server running and properly configured?

What happens if you type these commands at a command prompt of the
computer you want to use Mozilla on?
whois <hostname of squid computer>
telnet <hostname of squid computer>
telnet <squid-portnumber> <hostname of squid computer>
telnet <hostname of squid computer> <IP address of squid computer>

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/