Re: about Squid

On 00:44 24 Jan 2003, hicham linux <hichamlinux@yahoo.fr> wrote:
| I recently learned that squid can speed up web client
| browsing,
| I am trying to use squid as cache and proxy server,
| I've looked at the doc how to make squid communicate
| with mozilla, in the Options menu : Manual Proxy
| Configuration:
| it says to put the Squid server's hostname or IP
| address and put the HTTP port number for the Squid
| server (by default, 3128) in the Port column.
| but no connection at all thru squid
| is the Squid server's hostname means the machine's
| hostname ?

First make sure you have squid installed and running.
If it's on your local machine then just say:

	netstat -an | grep LISTEN

and make sure it's listening. Examine the top of the

	/etc/squid/squid.conf

file to find out what port it will be using.

The squid server's hostname is the machine it's running on.  If that's
your machine you can also use "localhost", which is (imperceptibly)
faster.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Swords on armor ring, making spirits bright,
      What fun it is to laugh and sing
	  a slaying song tonight!
	- Curt Howland "Ace" DoD#0663  EGFC#011  EFF#569
	  howland@Priss.com                '82 V45 Sabre