Re: XFree86 failure - mouse?

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 14:35, Charles Rignall wrote:

Hello.

I am trying to install Linux 8. The system detects all my hardware
properly; the only change I make is to the mouse, identifying it as an
MS Intellimouse PS/2, which it is.

The X system welcome screen consists of two boxes, one acqua inside one
blue, with two buttons labeled with what look like random characters.
When I enter my local name and password, I am passed on to another
screen; when I hit enter, I come to a virtual console prompt.

When I type startx, I get a message "fatal server error; no screens
found."

I am also told that I have encountered fatal error IO, error 104
(connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests.

And:

XFree86 detected mouse at device /dev/mouse. If the mouse is still not
operational do something or other about the protocol.

Could the above symptoms be caused by my changing what the system
detects as the mouse?

The problem there is not related to the mouse, although in RH 8.0 if you
chiise intellimouse it does not aooear to aork correctly. I use Generic
3 button mouse for my choice and it works perfectly.

Unfortunately I do not know the cause of the problem you describe. I am
seeing it as well, but only on the latest Beta version, and not with
psyche.

Charlie

 Regards,

Eric Burke