XFree86 failure - mouse?

Hello.

I am trying to install Linux 8. The system detects all my hardware properly; the only change I make is to the mouse, identifying it as an MS Intellimouse PS/2, which it is.

The X system welcome screen consists of two boxes, one acqua inside one blue, with two buttons labeled with what look like random characters. When I enter my local name and password, I am passed on to another screen; when I hit enter, I come to a virtual console prompt.

When I type startx, I get a message "fatal server error; no screens found."

I am also told that I have encountered fatal error IO, error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests.

And:

XFree86 detected mouse at device /dev/mouse. If the mouse is still not operational do something or other about the protocol.

Could the above symptoms be caused by my changing what the system detects as the mouse?

Charlie

Charles Rignall
lup2000@mindspring.com
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.