RE: bcm4400.o NIC module

    Vik> But, when you start transferring high volume traffic over this
    Vik> NIC, that driver seems to stop transmitting and/or receiving
    Vik> packets. And then you're out of business ;-)

    Vik> service network stop ; modprobe -r module ; service network start

    Vik> And everything works again for a while. Bottom line is that the
    Vik> module for this NIC is not stable.

I've lately noticed similar problems with high system loads or high network
traffic.  I'm networking two machines and using NFS to remotely mount
filesystems.

/var/log/messages shows the following errors:

localhost kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

This is with version 1.0.1 (08/26/02) of bcm4400.o

Some options:

1. If you have a Dell Machine, perhaps you could file a trouble report with
   them (if they provide any Linux support).

2. File a report with Broadcom.  I couldn't find their web site, but their
   corporate address is

   Broadcom Corporation
   16215 Alton Parkway,
   Irvine, CA 92619-7013

3. Try other driver options on the insmod command line (or in
   /etc/modules.conf).  Perhaps enabling flow control??  Options are
   defined in the RELEASE.TXT file accompanying the driver source.

4. What kernel are you running?  I had few problems with 2.4.18, but am
   experiencing problems with 2.4.19.  Maybe going back to 2.4.18 would
   help, if you're not currently using it.

5. I see that changes went into the 2.5.47 kernel for the Broadcomm driver;
   here is a comment from the 2.5.47 release notes:

      Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@redhat.com>:
      o Merge DaveM's cleanup of Broadcom's GPL'd 4401 net driver

   Perhap Jeff Garzik or DaveM (whoever that is) can shed some light on
   this.

--
	Ron Olsen
	Boulder Colorado