Re: Excellent signature

Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:
On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 20:24, Kevin Waterson wrote:

This one time, at band camp,
Now that is a funny sig. If you saw American Pie ;)

Jonathan_Pickard@scee.net wrote:

Unfortunately the ignorant masses I work with insist on me using lotus
notes because it is 'secure', the company is also a slave to the Microsoft
machine even though their flagship console can and does run Linux. This
signature which I saw on Kevin Waterson's mail should get the message
across. Or at least until some manager tells me to 'tow the line'
The more people who use it, the better it works

Dell are amazing for this, I ordered a PSU for the laptop since mine had
nearly set on fire....

Reading my mail with pine over ssh, and I receive an e-mail with all the
content in a word document. They were quick enough to replace it with
pdf's after I'd complained...

It baffles me to why they didn't send out platform neutral PDF's in the
first place, or more novel just put the content in plain text?

Absolutely, PDF creates bloated documents that require a lot of CPU to compile there output {It is just a variety of PostSCript}. Besides PDF documents are not that easy to read from the console, are they. I used to have a job where I maintained hand written postscript Logos,Templates and Programs {FYI PS is an interpreted programming language}, but most machine generated PS or PDF is almost impossible to "read" even for me.

HTML,SGML,XML are all "tag" based document formats like WP and Ventura at least used to be. "Reading" these formats is usaualy at least possible from a command line. IIRC rtf {Rich Text Format} is also tag based but I could be wrong, anyway it is a very well supported import export format for word processing software. If your Spread Sheet/DB application can't import and export csv then it is just plain no good.

Guy