Re: Domain Hosting on Cable

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:45:30 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
"Thom Paine" <thom@darksaber.com> wrote:

> Is there a way that I can host all 4 domains I own on a cable
> connection? They are all low bandwidth domains, I just use them for
> email and a few web pages mostly. I'm going to be leaving my job and
> will no longer be able to host them there. I'd like to have them at
> home on my personal server and network, as I can manage them easier. I
> just don't know what options I have available as a cable internet
> user.

Check w/ your cable provider.  A lot of cable providers do not allow
hosting of any services on your connection, with the exception of maybe
a game server.  Some even block service ports, such as port 80 tcp and
25tcp from ever getting to your machine.  Other than that, you have to
deal with DHCP, and trying to maintain a way to keep your domain names
pointed to your possibly changing IP address.

That said, you shouldn't have any problems if you resolve the above
ones.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: