Re: adduser -M

On Thursday 23 January 2003 09:57 pm, Buck wrote:
> What I have is an office of two groups of users, Processors and
> Originators.  The processors need to have a private share without
the
> originators having access.  The Originators need a sharing area for
> themselves because they think they need to be on the server and no
other
> reason. They only get on to write letters, read email and surf the
net
> looking for the latest porn.  Won't they be surprised when I setup a
> firewall that has NetNanny? :^o

Here is how I do it (YMMV)

Find the entry in smbusers, "root = administrator admin" and comment
it out.  Right now.  You have been warned!

Create a generic user with a shell of /bin/false.  call it "total"

Create two groups.  Call them "processor" and "originator"

Create two directories.

Give ownership of one directory to total:originators and the other to
total:processors.

Set pemissions on the directories to 0770

Create the user accounts putting Processors in the processor group and
Originators in the originator group.

Put youself in both groups

Make each directory a share using the "force group = <groupname>"
option.  Probably a good idea to set:
	create mask = 0775
        force create mode = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        force directory mode = 0775

Now only members of the appropiate group can access the share and all
created files and sub directories will be accessible to the
appropiate group.

Remeber that _Linux_ in charge of the permissions and access not
Windows.  Whatever permission you give a user account determines what
they can do based on UNIX permissions.

> Of course, I want access for me from where ever I happen to be.
>
> So, How do I turn off the [home] share?

In vi use "dd" until it is gone.  In emacs use "crtl-K" until it is
gone.  Save.

# service smb reload