Re: Version questions

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:44:00AM -0500, Buck wrote:
> 	I noticed on the Red Hat site that I can download for free
> version 8.0, which I have done.  But there is also mention of Red Hat
> Advanced Server.  Is that the same set of discs with a different level
> of support? Or is that a different set of discs?  If it is a different
> set of discs, are they available for free download or discs only for a
> low price?  I don't know if I need them right away, but I would rather
> not have to upgrade later if I can set it up from the start and become
> more familiar with the product.

Unless you need the clustering ability and a high level of Red Hat
provide support, 8.0 is adequate.  You will be required to do more
frequent upgrades to get security-related fixes, but you'll also get
more leading-edge features.  AS is targeted at enterprises as is obvious
from its price tag.  AW, when it ships later this spring (?) will come
with a lower price tag, no clustering, and have a similar support
structure as AS.

> 	I have the Red Hat Linux 7.2 Bible and Red Hat 8.0 discs.  Is
> 8.0 similar enough to 7.2 that I can use the older book with it or do I
> need to buy another book?

Since you're trying to learn the Linux server and not the desktop, the
7.2 book is adequate.  There is documentation on Red Hat's web site in
multiple formats that you can use for 8.0-specific functions.

> 	I noticed that there is a list that specializes in questions
> about installation.  Is it better to submit my questions about
> installation to that list or this list?

This one will most likely suffice.  Try to stump us and then make up
your mind :=)

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA