Gnome Fonts

This may or may not help... but do any of your X init scripts do an
explicit xrdb -load or -merge of ~/.Xresources or ~/.Xdefaults?

In Red Hat 8.0, for example, if I have xterm*faceSize to a particular
value, when I first run an xterm it comes up one size.  If I do xrdb
-load ~/.Xresources, running a second xterm uses a larger size.  Ditto
for Mozilla.  I have no idea what the "real" size is, i.e. if I have
12 as faceSize, if 12 is what I used before or after I do an explicit
xrdb, but somehow running xrdb changes it.

I have no idea why this is, but it may be related...

Raul