Re: Access

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 13:24, Vasyl wrote:
> Hi!
> Is there an alternative to MS Access under Linux?
> Vasyl Kenyuk

It depends on what you need to do. There are a number of powerful
databases available - Red Hat 8.0 ships with PostgreSQL and MySQL. I've
been learning MySQL for an intranet project here in our office,
converting our current sales/contact database from MS Access.

To directly handle Access database files, I've used a beta tool to view
the data, but I don't recall the name off the top of my head. You can
try searching on freshmeat.net.

To convert Access databases to MySQL, look for a win32 app called
dbtools. Once that's done, you'll need an interface, which is what most
people are actually talking about when they want "Access" on Linux.

I don't know about PostgreSQL, but the primary interface for MySQL is
through the command-line, which won't do for our normal users who just
want to view/add contacts and order information, and who aren't keen to
learn SQL. I haven't found anything out-of-the-box simple as Access's
interface for queries and forms, but we're creating our own custom web
interface.

For knowledgeable db admins, phpMyAdmin provides a powerful web
interface to MySQL, but it would probably be overwhelming for
non-admins. You can "roll-your-own" forms with php or perl, or any
number of development tools. theKompany.com makes rekall, a non-free
RDBMS interface. There may also be others that you can find at freshmeat
or through mysql.com.

Another option is using ODBC or JDBC connectivity through StarOffice or
OpenOffice.org. It's not too difficult to use the ODBC tools that Red
Hat ships to set up a connection to your database and use
OpenOffice.org's built in data tools to provide many of the same basic
form and query functions as the Access interface. This page is
Windows/JDBC-centric, but should provide enough background info to help
do the same thing on Linux:

http://www.ooodocs.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=15

--
Michael Knepher <limbo@bluethingy.com>