Re: RedHat 8, how to start mysql?

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 10:44, filsuf@softhome.net wrote:
> Daily, Shane, CTR wrote:
> What happens when you try it like this:
> service mysqld start
>
>  ----
> Thanks Shane. It works, but with 'serviceconf' command that will open the
> UI, then we can click on mysqld and start it like that.
>
> But it's really not nice. I guess there must be a way to start it normally
> from the command line.

As root, run 'chkconfig --list|grep mysqld' and look at the output. It
should be something like this:
mysqld         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Since you are running X Windows, you need to make sure that the 5 option
shows 'on', not 'off'. If it says 'on', then you've got some sort of
error preventing mysqld from running on boot. You will need to check the
system logs and see what is happening. If it says 'off', then you can
change it to 'on' by doing this:
chkconfig mysqld on

Running the list command (above) should now show the status changed to
'on' for runlevel 5, and probably the others as well.

--
Dave Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA